Saturday, July 10, 2010

I'm HERE!!!

Hello, how are you?! [Selam, denonesh?] hopefully that spelling is correct.

I'm here in Ethiopia! Our team arrived safe and sound! It was a very long flight. I enjoyed the plane ride somewhat, but I don't think I'll ever fly again after I get back, haha. I constantly think we are going to crash and do not like take-off or landings very well.
Gosh, I don't know what to say in the short amount of time that I have! We have to pay per minute when we are on the computers.

First off- we climbed a mountain called Mount Entoto. Literally climbed the entire mountain. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but definitely very rewarding. It storms everyday here- and the past 2 days have been with hail- SCARY!

There are beggars everywhere on the streets. All the time. Everyone is always taking mini buses or walking everywhere. The minibuses just drive- there really are not traffic signals or anything like that, so it's pretty scary to ride on them. I just close my eyes and choose not to look.

We are staying at the Red Cross which is surrounded by gating and barb wire, and has guards out there at night, so I feel very safe. I really have not felt totally unsafe though I did get scared the first day when everyone was yelling at us because they have not seen a lot of white people.

I'm getting used to being stared at- haha. And yelled at. I'm learning a lot of Amharic though so it is making it easier for me to talk to people on the street and our roommates. I love my roomie! Her name is Mekon. She is very wealthy and her father is a teacher at the University where she goes. She is exactly like me- only Ethiopian so that she give you a pretty good idea about what she likes.

Food. Food is different. They serve everything on injera. Which is like a spongy bread. You eat only with your hands (and only with your right one). All "pop" and drinks are served in a glass- you never drink from the can. I'm still getting used to the food and actually have not been hungry since we got here. I'm very nauseous all the time and have a hard time eating. I have taken one shower and it was WARM! The place we are staying is very nice for Ethiopia, so we lucked out.

This may be gross to all of you but I finally pooped last night after 6 days of not pooping. I was really clogged up and had to eat one of Amy's Fiber One bars. So for those of you out there that need to poop- those things really work. :)

I think I've mostly touched on everything. We don't know what we are doing for our worksites yet, but once I know I'll update another blog. The poverty here is insane. It's more than you could ever imagine and pictures do not capture the heart of it. The streets are mud and rock, and everywhere floods when it rains. There is trash and animals everywhere- mostly dogs, some cats, and a lot of goats and donkeys.

That's all I got for now. Ciao! (as they would say in Amharic)

Atalie

2 comments:

  1. I loved your pooping comment!! It is wonderful to read the adjustments you are already experiencing when you have only been there such a short time! Glad you have made connections with your roommate- will be praying for you to feel a bit better and continue to find God's influence as you begin at your worksites!
    Kim (emily's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so glad that you made it safely! I have been thinking about you a lot. Keep up the hard work and enjoy yourself! --Kallie

    ReplyDelete